Project title: Research to Action: Improving the Quality of Care and Access to Sexual Health and HIV Services Among Youth In Kenya
Funding agency: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR).
The overall objective of the research was to support the uptake of research evidence by knowledge users through collaboratively developing and transferring key messages to inform decisions on policy, clinical practice and social services that affect marginalized youth and through informing youth strategies to improve their sexual health and wellbeing through;
- Formation of two policy papers that is on youth friendly services and Gender based violence to improve on the marginalized youth policy environment
- Empower the youth by teaching them on economic empowering initiatives as well as sensitize them on their rights in-terms of access to sexual health.
- Develop and publish a directory of health services for the youth in Nakuru and generally the Rift valley region to inform the youth on where to access services and improve on collaborations among organizations working with youth
Areas of operation
- A health directory of services has been developed for the Nakuru region
- Development of two policy briefs; one on youth friendly services and on Gender based violence in progress to be ready by October and to be taken up by the KANCO advocacy team for advocacy.
- 3 Action group meetings have been held in Nairobi, 4peer to peer meetings in Nakuru and entrepreneurship trainings in Molo .
- Some youth in Nakuru have been linked with grown organizations that carry out income generating activities for sustainability, and some trained on saving internal lending (SILC), under FAIR in Nakuru
- Collaborations with organizations to achieve the projects set objectives such as with APHIA plus and FAIR in Nakuru, and in Nairobi the two policy briefs developed collaboratively with input from organizations like LVCT, Youth congress Kenya, KANCO, ICL, other CBOs and individual youths.
- The official research summary for the project developed